Joseph M. Leptich was born in 1912. He and his wife owned and operated the former Martin Jewelry Store on East Washington Street in Hagerstown for many years. His love of music started when he was young and lasted through his whole life. He played clarinet in the Germantown Symphony Orchestra in Philadelphia, National Guard Band, Lancaster Symphony, New Golden Band and the Hagerstown Municipal Band. Mr. Leptich played clarinet in the Trinity Lutheran Sunday School Orchestra before taking the baton as its long time director. He was also the director of the Hagerstown Municipal Band in 1969. Mr. Leptich died in 1977.